Thursday, January 21, 2010

S524 Intro

About Me

I’m Dave Gray and S524 is my fourth class in the SLIS program. I grew up about 15 minutes east of Indianapolis. I have a bachelor’s degree from Purdue University in Computer Technology specifically telecommunications and networking technology. I also have multiple IT certifications and am a Microsoft Certified System Engineer.

After I graduated from Purdue I never imagined I would work in a library or in the same town I grew up in but I have worked as the IT manager for the Hancock County Public Library for 8 years now. I have enjoyed working in a public library and that is the main reason I decided to begin taking classes in the SLIS program.

I am married and have two young children. I don’t have a lot of free time. I enjoy spending time with my family, sports, and of course computers, gadgets and electronics. I also help coach sports the kids are involved in. Some seasons are busier than others and I usually don't have a lot of time to read.

What I Read

Working in IT requires reading many manuals and guides. I read a lot of books on new technology related products and services. When I do get a chance to read what I want I usually read nonfiction. I especially like biographies. I don’t read a lot of fiction but I do read many children’s books! I wasn’t sure about S524 but I am looking forward to the class and to have the chance to pick what I want to read. I’m way outside of my comfort zone and I know I will learn a lot in the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment